Afitos is a large village and head of the municipal Department of Kassandra county in Halkidiki. This traditional village is full of stone houses and cobbled streets, with
approximately 1,230 inhabitants according to the 2001 Census. Its distance from New Phocaea is 4km. Among other there is a kindergarten and a primary school. The church of St. Demetrius situated in the
village square, was built in 1857. From that square you can also see the bay of Kassandra.
Its cultural activities include the 'Folkloreand Tradition Friends Association' of Afitos. In 1980 the folklore museum was founded by the initiative of the Folklore Association and Nikos Paralis. The museum is housed in the Alevra family building, were
farm implements, household utensils and pottery can be found. There is also a local football team, playing in the A' local class league.
Afitos village is very old, dating back to 3000 BC. It was an important village in those days and belonged to Pallini (mentioned by ancient writers). The sanctuary of Dionysus and the temple of Ammon Zeus were very important in spreading Afitos's reputation
during the Archaic and Classical periods. Afitos also contributed during the Persian Wars with its own ships. Later on it joined the Athenian Alliance.
It is worth noting that the city had its own currency, which bore the head of Ammon Zeus.
In the centuries to come we do not know anything about Afitos until the 14th century, from documents of Mount Athos. During the Ottoman occupation, like all the other villages of the peninsula,
it was under the tax law of Gkazanfer Aga, while administratively belonged to nahiye of Kalamaria.